Wednesday, September 22, 2004

 

Embedded Development vs. Linux

Since starting my own consulting operation, I've been trying to do everything in Linux. KDE and Star Office make it possible to work in Linux at the office and document level (my desktop PC has 512 MB RAM and runs at 1GHz), but embedded tools are distressingly Windows-centric. I can't even inspect the files on the NetOS development kit CD using Linux because they are packaged as a self-extracting Windows executable. The exec won't open with wine because it is bigger than my system RAM (haven't tried increasing swap space).

I solved that by running the tools on my laptop (486, 64MB, Win2kPro). I loaded the development kit CD onto the laptop, and set up FTP and Telnet servers on the laptop. I used FileZilla for ftp and CygWin for telnet. Here's the command to start a telnet server on a cygWin equipped Windows box:

/sbin/inetd --install-as-service

So then I fixed up the Makefile on my Linux desktop system to ftp changed files to the Windows laptop. With a telnet session still active in another window, I could compile, load and debug from the laptop without losing the context of my desktop, with all the editors, data sheets and explanatory emails I could cram onto the screen. It really was a nice setup, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Another advantage was I could take my laptop out to the field, tweak the code, and synch with the desktop on returning home.

Larry Martin
www.GlueLogix.com
Copyright (c) 2004 Larry Martin. All Rights reserved.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?